Dentures are removable appliances that can replace missing teeth and help restore your smile. If you’ve lost all of your natural teeth, whether from gum disease, tooth decay or injury, replacing missing teeth will benefit your appearance and your health. Dentures can make it easier to eat and speak than you could without teeth.
Types of dentures:
- This full removable denture is made and placed in your mouth after the remaining teeth are removed and tissues have healed, which may take several months.
- This removable denture is inserted on the same day that the remaining teeth are removed. We will take measurements and make models of your jaw during a preliminary visit. You don’t have to be without teeth during the healing period, but may need to have the denture relined or remade after your jaw has healed.
- Sometimes some of your teeth can be saved to preserve your jawbone and provide stability and support for the denture. An overdenture fits over a small number of remaining natural teeth after they have been prepared by your dentist. Overdentures can also be made with implants supporting them. Your dentist can help decide if you are a candidate for implants.
Removable partial dentures usually consist of replacement teeth attached to pink or gum-colored plastic bases. Depending on your needs, Drs. Hinton, Marler and Armstrong will design a partial denture for you. A partial denture may have a metal framework and clasps that connect to your teeth, or they can have other connectors that are more natural looking. Crowns on your natural teeth are sometimes needed to improve the fit of a removable partial denture. Consult with your dentist to find out which type is right for you.
Types of partial dentures:
- Cast Metal Partial Denture
- The cast metal partial denture is stronger, less bulky and offers a great fit. This partial has a metal framework to which our laboratory will attach denture teeth.
- Flexible Partial Denture
- The flexible partial is made from a special material that gives you added comfort and fit. It does not have the metal framework which can be more esthetic especially if replacing front teeth.
- Acrylic Partial Denture
- Acrylic partial dentures are more affordable. This partial has an acrylic base into which the denture teeth are set and is attached to your natural teeth with small metal clasps. This partial is also used often times in immediate cases where we are removing teeth and delivering a partial the same day.